As/Is







7.21.2006


You Think I Look Happy; Looks Can Be Deceiving

momentary lapses of make believe, of learning how to expel emotions like genuine promises
I can hear his husky voice from flights of stairs away, humming the lullaby his mother used to sing to him in Italian
never a man of god, now closing his eyes and thinking about walking with Jesus
we tip toe, high strung, and ectopic
she pounds the ground with footsteps naive and oblivious; we are given a unfair mask of lies
eight years later the world seems to be sinking around my feet
I'm swimming in shoulder height water, singing as loud as I can the bits and pieces I remember of that lullaby
My eyelids collapse and lungs begin to burn with the familiar fire
You tell me you love me, and just as I was naive then, I am naive now